- This event has passed.
District Assembly 2020
May 14 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Livestream worship/prayer service – Thursday night May 14th at 7PM
Challenges from DS Dave, Roxanne Brown (NMI) and Rob Gossen (NYI) on Friday May 15th.
Links will be posted here when available.
Look for our Oregon Pacific District Assembly APP
on the Apple App Store and in Google Play
to view the assembly reports and information.
*Currently still pending on Google Play
Because of the substantial challenges associated with responding in a socially responsible way to the COVID-19 pandemic, the restrictions on large gatherings established by our government, and the uncertainty of when such restrictions may be removed, our Jurisdictional General Superintendent (JGS) – Dr. Eugenio Duarte – sent us an email on March 30, 2020 giving us the following three options regarding how to conduct our District Assembly in 2020:
- Cancellation of District Assembly, in which case the DAC is authorized to conduct the regular assembly business;
- Conduct an Electronic District Assembly, in which case the JGS presides electronically
- Postponement of District Assembly, in which case the assembly business will be done in the usual gathering but at a later time.
Although we were planning to go with Option 2, we concluded – after some exploration – that such option was fraught with too many uncertainties that may cause unnecessary frustration for people due to potential technology, “user”, and language issues across our district. Therefore, in a video conference meeting held on Thursday, April 16, the Oregon Pacific District Advisory Board (“DAB”) voted to proceed with Option 1, which means that the business of the 2020 District Assembly scheduled for May 14-15, 2020 will be transferred to the Oregon Pacific District Advisory Committee (elected District Advisory Board members, elected Auxiliary Chairmen/Presidents, i.e. NYI, SDMI & NMI, District Secretary and District Treasurer- “DAC”).
As such, we will proceed as follows:
1. On Thursday, May 14 at 7PM, we invite you to join us via livestream for a worship and prayer service, where we will begin our journey together in the 2020 church year in the way that we always should begin before we moving forward in any area of our life — by engaging God in prayer; in particular, by humbling ourselves, praying, seeking God’s face and turning from anything ungodly that has crept into our life and by asking God to move in the hearts and minds of the people in our communities, state, nation and world. (DS Dave and Dr. Tomas Alvarez will lead us in this evening of worship and prayer, incorporating Spanish at various times.)
2. On Friday, May 15 at 7PM, we will post a pre-recorded DS challenge from DS Dave, as well as a challenge from our NMI President (Roxanne Brown) and our NYI President (Rob Gossen).
3. On Friday, May 15, the DAC will meet via video conference to receive District Assembly reports, conduct appropriate elections and appointments, and handle all other District Assembly business. We will conduct the regular business via voice vote or show of hands, and we will address the election of General Assembly Delegates using voting by the DAC through a secure and anonymous electronic means.
a. For General Assembly Delegates, from accepted nominations to a nominating ballot (six times the number needed to elect), the DAC will vote to narrow the elective ballot to three times the number to elect. From there, the DAC will elect four lay delegates and three clergy delegates (with the DS serving as the fourth clergy delegate) and two alternate delegates each for the elected lay delegates and for the elected clergy delegates.
b. General SDMI Convention Delegates will be elected by the DAC from District Nominating Committee nominations.
c. General NMI and NYI Convention Delegates will be elected by their respective councils from nominations submitted from their respective nominating committees.
4. All typical District Assembly reports will be submitted as is customary to the District Secretary for compilation into a District Assembly Delegate Book and App, which will be made available across the district via the district website, Facebook page, and email at least one week prior to May 15.
5. District Assembly-elected positions for DAB members and NNU Board of
Trustees members will have their terms in office extended one year; those positions due to expire in 2020 will be up for election in 2021 for a two-year term in order to return to the previous three-year rotation of terms.
a. DAB openings created by appointment to another office (DS) or by departure from the district (Pastor Andy Albright) will be filled
by DAC appointment from among candidates nominated by the District Nominating Committee at its February 29, 2020 meeting.
b. We have one NNU Board of Trustee whose term is expiring in 2020 who does not want to continue serving in this role, and, therefore, that position will be filled by DAC appointment from among the candidates nominated by the District Nominating Committee at its February 29, 2020 meeting.
6. With respect to NMI, NYI, and SDMI, we will proceed as follows:
a. The NMI President and Council members will have their terms in office extended one year and will fill any openings per Manual or charter protocols.
b. The NYI President and Council members will be appointed by the DAC from nominations from the current NYI Executive Committee.
c. The SDMI Chairperson opening created by departure from the district (Pastor Andy Albright) will be filled by DAC appointment from among candidates nominated by the District Nominating Committee at its February 29, 2020 meeting.